Saturday, January 7, 2012

Top Ten Movies of 2011

I know its 2012 but with awards season coming down to the wire, there are some films that have yet to get a wide release (or in the driving radius of a poor, recent college graduate). I have not seen some of the more critically acclaimed films of this year (like The Descendants, The Artist or Shame). Because I am an ethics-driven journalist, I have made this list based off of the movies I have seen. I won't lie, 2011 was not a great year for films, which makes this list easier. Also, the list is in descending order because one of my many, many, many pet-peeves is when top-ten list give away their number one film first, which is anti-climatic (trying to put a new twist to an old favorite).

First things first, this is my honorable mentions list:
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Or as I call it, Mission Impossible: Tom Cruise Saved Christmas).
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (If it was the original Swedish version, it would have been in the top ten)
Rise of The Planet of The Apes (this movie got cool points for being good but then deducted said points because James Franco was pretty normal...too normal)
Cedar Rapids (the second funniest movie this year)
Bridemaids (the funniest movie this year)

10) Martha Marcy May Marlene
Much was made of Elizabeth Olsen this past year; the little seen, never heard of younger sister of Mary-Kate and Ashley. Her enigmatic and subtle performance brought her out of their shadow but this movie was not just a showcase for her incredible talent; Sean Durkin's moody debut is a beautiful, and quiet film that blurs the already thin line between memory and reality.

9) The Muppets
I could care less if Fox News believes The Muppets are corrupting America's youth, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. The Muppets is a fun trip down memory lane; the self-awareness is amazing (I wish I could travel by map), the actors are game (Chris Cooper is required to rap in every role from here on out), and of course, all the muppets are there and accounted for (hey, there's Uncle Deadly). The Muppets is a blast of much needed fun (and believe me, this list needs it.)

8)Moneyball
Moneyball is the type of movie that sneaks on you with its greatness. The movie is understated; it does not blow you away with flashy dialogue, or camera tricks. Brad Pitt shows he can play any type of role, Jonah Hill displays his dramatic chops, and the movie is a great metaphor about rich vs poor (a poor baseball team trying to compete against richer teams with more talent). Its a great movie about making the best out of the little available. It is the most traditional American film on this list.

7)The Help
When America fell under this movies' spell, I didn't see it but not because I wanted to be difficult or "cool"; I didn't have the money. So, like any child, I waited for my parents to buy it On-Demand and fell under said spell. This movie may not be perfect but it comes from a good place and addresses a subject no one wants to talk about; its also well-made and well performed. This movie has the best ensemble of actresses of any movie this year (and yes, that includes Bridemaids. And let the death threats begin in 3...2...)

6)X-Men: First Class
By far the best blockbuster this year (sorry Potterheads), X-Men: First Class was a high risk-low reward project for Matthew Vaughn. With everything standing against him, he delivered an high octane, character driven joyride with great performances. Jennifer Lawrence continues her reign as the queen of my heart, and James McAvoy is the most under appreciated actor working today. Through this movie I was introduced to Michael Fassbender, who has put up Jessica Chastain type number of movies this (well, technically last) year.

5)50/50
A lot of movies have failed in epic fashion to make cancer funny (cough...The Bucket List...cough). Many more movies failed to give cancer the emotional gravitas it deserves; 50/50 managed to be both funny and moving without the melodrama. Joseph Gordon-Levitt continues his streak of never making a bad movies ever (that includes Angel in the Outfield). 50/50 strikes a perfect balance between comedy and tragedy with fine performances from the entire cast.

4)We Need To Talk About Kevin
To put the power of this movie in perspective, I saw it last May while at Cannes. I also saw the number 10, 2 and 1 movies on this list over there. I re-watched Martha Marcy May Marlene (#10), the number 2 and number 1 movies on this list again in America, but not this one. I can't put this movie into words, you just need to see it. Tilda Swinton has never been better but its the movie as a whole that stays with you long after its over.

3)Take Shelter
I make no secret about my admiration for Jeff Nichols but I also admire Nicholas Cage, so that's not saying much. Jeff Nichols still had to make a great movie. I'm surprised Take Shelter is not getting more love considering Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain both are crazy hot right now. Take Shelter has great lead performances and a slow burn quality that builds dread and tension through both everyday and supernatural circumstances, something only the next two films on this list do a better job of.

2)Melancholia
Lars von Trier is, to put it as nice as I can, a very, very, very, complicated person. I've learned so much about him in the past year; from his infamous Cannes rant to his filmography. Melancholia was my first von Trier movie (and after reading summaries about his other films, my last) but that does not take away from the power of this movie. I cringed when other movie reviewers threw around the word masterpiece but after seeing it a second time, I've warmed up to it. Kirsten Dunst nails her role as the walking embodiment of depression, and in a cruel sense of irony, this is the most beautiful film I've seen all year. There are so many things this movie does right from a technical standpoint (Earth's destruction has never sounded so good) to the cinematography, this is a movie you need to see.

1)Drive
This has been Ryan Gosling's year but to be honest, this is the only movie he's done that I cared about. Don't get me wrong, he was the second best part about Crazy, Stupid Love (after Emma Stone, of course) and his performance in The Ides of March should get him a Best Actor nod at the Oscars but this is not a Top Ten performances list. Drive is the coolest, most stylish, and best crafted film of the year. Nicolas Winding-Refn builds and builds and builds tension at a perfect, if not slower, pace than most people are accustomed to, but when the tension floods over, its something to behold. Drive also holds the distinction of having the best skull-crushing in the history of cinema. Drive is a hypnotic blend of silence, violence, romance and thrills. Drive also boost the coolest soundtrack of the year (A reeeeal Human Being, and A Real Hero).

Even though Drive is my number one movie, its not head over shoulders better than the other movies on this list. The movies on this list, like all list, are subject to what someone looks for in a movie; all the movies on this list are character driven films that go to some dark places(and yes, even The Muppets has some darkness in it). Either way, this is the first (and depending on if you believe the Apocalypse is coming), the last top ten list I will do. Please, tell me what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment